Friday, February 20, 2015

The Goal:

The Genius Project is one that I think won’t be a hassle to work on. I get to pick something I enjoy and spend time on it every day. With track season coming up, I’ve decided to focus on hurdling (well, my mom has decided, I’m going along with it). This would be easy to incorporate into my schedule because daily attendance is mandatory, and with my mom as the coach, there’s no way I would miss any practices or meets. I have never cleared hurdle in my life, let alone several lined up along the distance of 300m. What I hope to be able to do by the end of this project is confidently clear all of the hurdles and do so in a shorter amount of time than when I begin. I’m starting out of shape (I haven’t run since late October) with no  experience with a hurdle. I can only improve from there… unless I fall and break my leg or something, but I don’t really plan on doing that. I want to first focus on being able to actually clear a hurdle, but as weeks go by I will try to decrease my time. Despite never having had cleared a hurdle in my life, I think that my main challenge will be a confidence issue. I'll be too scared to try to jump over a hurdle in fear of falling and embarrassing myself, or I'll tell myself that I won't be able to do it and psych myself out. This project will not only help me learn to clear the 300m hurdles, but hopefully will be an experience that will boost my confidence.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Abby! I think this is a really good idea, as it will be really helpful for you, even when this project is over. Do you think that hurdles is something you will want to continue when this project is over, will you ever want to do them at a meet or something? Maybe to help improve your confidence, when you are running or doing hurdles, you could do it with friends or people from your track team. It may be helpful to have other people around, maybe people with similar goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use your mom as a resource. She is the track coach, if you did not know that yet. So far it seems like it is going very well. I hope it that the weather will clear up a bit so that you don't slip on the ice. Also, just a suggestion, go to the Olympics, or just ask some of the star hurdlers on the Wiss track team for tips. I wish you luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete